Sunday, February 4, 2018

Daily Life: SCMHK 2018 Review

Before I totally forget about my SCMHK 2018 run, better pen it down.
Pre-race: I did not get the ballot first time round n was put on waiting list. I was fortunate that someone did not take the ballot so was able to given the chance so i took it. Unfortunately I was down with cough for a good 2 weeks before the race. Too many people in office coughing away for the past 3 months so its a miracle I could survive so long. Still I finish my medication 2 day before the race I decided not to put too much hope in this A race. I was surprised to see 2 more friends n fellow runners on the same flight to HK with me. we took Cathay Pacific friday midnight flight which was delayed from 12.30am to 2.30am Sat morning. Anyway arrived at HK around 5am n on way to race collection area with another friend from Malaysia
Race collection day: There is a long queue outside the kowloon swimming pool which is for runners who did not received the collection letter. Since my friend n I have the collection letter, the boy scout on duty (they are the helpers for that day) guided us to the correct queue n we collected our race bib n bag < 20mins. very fast. Since my friend also made some keychain purchase earlier so went to queue again to collect the purchase. After race pack collection done, we went for lunch before i went back to check in to my hotel (panda's hostel) which is directly next to the start point. A pleasure surprise was another friend n his wife is also staying same hotel n same floor directly opp to my room. They were out on sat with another group of friends n will meet later after the race.
Race day: My friend n I met at 6.15am n went straight to the bag deposit lorry. During the race pack collection each runner is given a race deposit bag indicating which lorry no to go to deposit the bag. The volunteers only allow those race deposit bag to go into the lorry. I rather like this system as everyone just put their belongings into the bag n go to the designated lorry no. so simple unlike that we see in SCMSG n Yolo run which baggage deposit is a big turn-off (nightmare for all). We see other running groups from SG like F1 runners n others at the waiting line. My friend n I are both in marathon wave 2 which start at 7.00am. There is the marathon challenge (start 6.10am n marathon wave 1 (start 6.35am). Hong Kong this year is not too cold (17-19 degree) so no need to wear running jacket. Just a long sleeve with coffee n tea running club t-shirt. I choose the running club t-shirt as its yellow in color so will be bright enough. I did not know that SCMHK 2018 offical t-shirt color is also yellow in color.
Race itself: We move from waiting line to start line 10 mins before the start n flag off at 7am sharp. My friend start to run ahead of me n I ask him to go ahead. I just continue to run slowly n picking up pace slowly. Heard my name being called n saw 2 friends running. After a short 'jia you' went ahead. at 1km its a slope up to expressway. some runners went over to the right to take a pee. First u-turn at CP1 which is along the west kowloon highway
I reach the first water point n grab some water n sports drink. Their sports drink from watson is in a small self-container n the volunteers keep shouting encouraging words to all runners either in cantonese or english. Each water point is well spread with plain water 2 tables, 2 tables of sports drink, 2 tables of plain water n other 2 tables of sports drink. The tables are well spread. After the first water point, decided to go to toilet to pee first before going up the stonecutters bridge. Not too crowded at the toilet but already the toilet bowl is full. guess someone shit badly that day... After the bridge its into the Nam Wan tunnel towards the CP2 near Tsing Ma bridge. Saw some friends on the opp side who are going to CP3. Continue to run at a good pace 5.50-6.20 towards CP3 which is north west tsing yi interchange. Continue running towards another bridge where CP4 Tsing Long highway is. There are additional food points of cut banana n chocolate nuggets on the tray. Took half banana n 1 chocolate nugget n continue on towards CP4. Saw more friends running towards CP4 while I was running towards Tsing Kwai highway.
Legs started to get a little heavy n light cough so pace down. By the time I am on Tsing Kwai highway its 30k so took my only gel n continue slowly. It has been down-slope towards western harbour tunnel after CP4 so its easy to pick up speed. once inside the tunnel, nike being the offiical sponsor of the event, had its logo put on projectors n shown on the sides. I continue to maintain running form though pace drop down to 7.5min/k. Its up/down inside the tunnel but still continue. By the time I am out of the tunnel, I have been running non-stop for 4hrs which i thought should be enough time for me to complete. The last 10k saw me going though the connaught road west flyover n construction of the high speed rail station from HK to Shenzhen. My pace at this point is 7.9-8.5min/k n did not go up till the very end when entering into causeway bay. Its the final stretch with many supporters on the sides n photographers so run on n slowly increase pace to around 6min/k. Give it my all around 1K from finish line to finish at 4hrs 40mins. its not my PB but I am happy with the results.
Post race: Collect the finisher medal (only 42K have) n onto collect the bag deposit. went over to see my friend n other friends who also took part in the run. They all got PB with 1 qualifying for Boston woman category.
Looking back I am very fortunate indeed as for the past 2 sundays before the race I am involved in 3 races of various distance (8k to 40K) plus was coughing away before n during the race. I also at each water points (total of 14) took water n sports drink, banana n chocolate nugget so did not need to bring water along). I will not recommend going if sick as too dangerous N no, I will not tag my friends in this posting. You know who u are n I am glad to have met u during/before/after the race. Till SCMHK 2019, will have to do more speedwork n slope training n less races in 2018.

No comments: