Sunday, August 26, 2018

Daily Life: Army Half Marathon 2018

The cheapest half marathon run in town at the moment. that should be the tagline as most runs in Singapore for 21K are around S$50 which is rather ex if you ask me.

Every year this is the one race i will take part as its in the middle of the year n a good gauge for my running for the next half of the year.
This year I took the shuttle bus service which cost me S$6 from aljunied mrt bus stop to the start point at 3am. Its always hard to wake up at 1am...

The baggage deposit is very smooth n there was a little queue as only one baggage deposit counter was open though this was very quickly resolved as all the baggage deposit counters open due to more n more runners coming in.

Reach the start point early n was in front, saw many friends n familiar faces. had a chat while waiting for the flag off at 4.30am. 4.33am we are flagged off n run towards DBS building before making a turn after that towards garden by the bay east. I was running fast & within my limit but my stomach decide to go for shit time. Shit.... I had to cut down the pace as was feeling the stomach grinding n letting off gases... Once reach the canopy at gardens by the bay I straight went to toilet n saw Mark going to the toilet. The 'bombing' took place while i press my lap button to see later how fast i was in the first 5k.

With the shit out, its business as usual though i did not go fast till i have my isotonic drink at the marina barrage water station. Had 2 cups n off i go towards ECP. Engine is doing well so pick up some speed though when i reach ECP i dropped down to walking speed to enjoy my banana. ECP was a rather short distance before we make the u-turn towards fort road. There I saw chern n encourage him while i run off towards stadium. There I took my gel at the 14K mark n towards the finish line. Along the way saw some more friends n also Jai who was with me at the start line. He say he aiming for 2.30 but when i saw my GPS watch, 2.15 is within reach. By the time i finish the run the 10K runners have flagged off for a good 20mins.
Met more friends n took photo before going back home to take breakfast at a nearby hawker centre with owen since we live around the same area.

All in all the race was good n without the extended toilet break, i should be able to break 2hrs. A good run with no issues on my body form n pace. Think the weekly tues runs do very well to me to increase my pace gradually.

No comments: