Monday, December 31, 2018

Daily Life: Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2018

Every Dec is always SCSM n for a few years now I tried to avoid it as the organisation is not good enough to spend the money on. But this year since is the first time the 5k/10k n 21k/42k are held on separate days n have a B2B challenge, I decided to give it a go.

On Sat, I woke up late as usual so instead of going to take the coach which i already paid $8 for, I took a cab n reach the start line at F1 Pit on time. A good spray of the Red Balm rub n went into the pit, The first is the check on the bag is smooth by the security then the bag deposit is very smooth. I grab what i need earlier so i just deposit the bag n enter into the pit for the 10K start. I did my warm-up and decided to go to toilet as there is still time. Took a dump to clear the stomach which was unexpected. The dump is too big till cannot flush down. tried but cannot flush down. lol

Went out n saw a fellow runner. Had a chat with him who was staying at hotel nearby with his family. He too is doing B2B so wish him all the best as he is in B pen while I am in C pen. By this time there are more people in the C pen so i moved forward. Before long the race started n I give it my all, pushing my pace to keep within 6min/km but as the weather gets cooler, decide to give it a boast n maintain at 5.40min/km pace. Already I am moving faster n saw a fellow runner run past which is a very fast runner. say hi n off he went. I tried to keep pace n continue till the turning point at the stadium. As I came to second turning point, saw other fellow runners like karen on the opposite end. Tried shouting to them but no response. Guess everyone too focus on the run.

By the time I finish my 10K, it was below 1hr as the emcee was shouting on the mic to ask runners to go all out since within the 1hr. Saw Ben at the finish line taking photos n cross Yee Hua at the Esplanade turn point. Turn out I did 53mins plus for my 10K which is my current PB. Happy but did not share with many people since nothing to shout about.

Sat noon (Dec 8) check in to Carlton hotel as booked a room there for SCSM n also attending clement n Tiffany wedding at nearby Queens hotel. I tried to booked queens but the pricing is similar to carlton so took carlton instead. Saw quite a no of friends at the wedding including esther which was long time no see. Finish around 10.30pm. went back to hotel had a shower n went to bed.

Woke up at 3am n took a shower n put on the vasline on the thighs n groins n nipple. Should have put more on the thighs as got heat rub later in the run. (more on that later). Walk out of hotel towards the start line. First time no need to bring anything except for my bib. This time my pen is D so went in to the pen n already got many many runners. saw David, Lynda n other runners. Say hi n on time we start off. From the start did not feel well as feel like vomitting. the feeling continue till 15K then it got better. I had to run slow around 6.30-7min/km. The new route did help as it runs up the west coast highway n back. By the time I reach the 21K mark my stomachache begun so went to take a dump at marina barrage toilet which clear the stomachache. The run at ECP was smooth but the heat rub begin at the thigh so have to slow down further. I just want to finish the one in one piece. The run up the heartbreak bridge was no issues as did that for many times already. Continue to manage my pace around 7.30min/km n finish before the 6hrs mark. Not the best of the B2B runs but given the issue with my body I am happy with the results.

Will have to take more vasline on my thighs. thick enough as once i go to toilet that's it. The sweat remove most of the oil anyway. the gel i bought from Running red dot helps too. Its first time trying them. The training runs i have on tues n LSD on weekends also help so will continue with this training program. 

No comments: